Welcome Message

Hello my dear reader,

Welcome to my blog, which is dedicated to Cisco technologies. On its pages we will talk about the limitless world of telephony and networking.

We will focus mostly on Cisco collaboration solutions and technologies. These are IP PBX based on Cisco Unified Communications Manager and Cisco Unified Communications Manager Express, Cisco contact centers, Cisco Voice Gateways, etc. Also, I will introduce you the education news: Cisco authorized courses, my own developed training programs, our upcoming events, online learning.

If you have any questions regarding my posts, job or activities, please feel free to ask your questions. I will try to answer them when I have time.

If you are satisfied with the content of my blog, isn’t that worth a beer or coffee? Donations help me to continue supporting the blog and creating new posts here — things for which I spend hours of my free time! Thank you very much!

Sincerely, Dmytro Benda

Saturday, September 3, 2022

Caller ID doesn't work at FXO port on Cisco Voice Gateway

This morning I participated in a discussion on Cisco Community about a problem with Caller ID on FXO port. And this discussion reminded me my recent experience with a similar problem, which one of my customer faced in his Cisco PSTN voice gateway. It was new configuration for a voice gateway in a small branch office. The symptoms of the issue were exactly the same - he couldn't see any Caller ID (Calling Number) on his Cisco IP phones, when the call arrived to FXO ports of the gateway (they used H323 signaling). However, when he connected a traditional analog phone to the PSTN line, the phone showed the Caller ID without any problems. It was new configuration for a voice gateway in a small branch office. 

The configuration of all FXO ports on my customer side were as follows:

voice-port 0/0/0
 supervisory disconnect dualtone mid-call
 supervisory answer dualtone
 no battery-reversal
 cptone CN
 timeouts call-disconnect 1
 timeouts wait-release 1
 connection plar opx 2100
 caller-id enable
 caller-id alerting line-reversal
 caller-id alerting dsp-pre-allocate

In the beginning of my VoIP career I dealt with the issues like that, so I already knew what to advise to my customer. The first thing to check in FXO port configuration is the cptone setting. Typically Cisco FXO port recognizes normally the Caller ID, if the cptone parameter is set to US

As you can see, my customer set the cptone to CN (I have no idea why they did it, because the customer was from Ukraine). Of course it was a wrong setting, and I advised him to substitute the cptone to US. Immediately after that on the next call they could see the desired Caller ID on Cisco phones.

Moreover, I should add that cptone US is a default Cisco configuration. However, sometimes the Caller ID is not shown for the calls on FXO ports, until you explicitly define it in the port config.

Is it tricky? Definitely yes. )))  

You can also find some more information about possible problems with Caller ID on FXO ports in this post on Cisco Community:

https://community.cisco.com/t5/ip-telephony-and-phones/fxo-interface-receive-calling-nuber-fail/td-p/2731202 

Have a nice weekend! Cheers! 

2 comments:

  1. What about for Saudi Arabia ? What should be the cp tone ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you also can try to set cptone US even for Saudi Arabia too

      Delete